Thursday, September 27, 2007

Grandma's Tea Cups


A big thank you to everyone who came to the artist's talk the other night! :)

Derwent is having a contest with a "favorite memory" theme and that is where this image came from. This is my grandmother's tea cups/saucers. Both my grandmothers passed away before my sister and I were born and we've both gotten to know a little bit of them both from old photographs, stories, and their old belongings. I can remember playing for hours with my grandmother's costume jewelry in a great box with a little ballerina dancer dancing away.

In this drawing I have her old tea set being wrapped, or unwrapped from its frosty pink packing paper.

It is 8" x 10"

I don't know if I will be sending this in for the contest or not. They want you to send in the original to be judged and won't be returning them. So I have to decide by their postmark deadline of the 30th.

6 comments:

Siti Nuriati Husin said...

Oh Nicole, this is so lovely!!

su said...

hey! I remember my grandma's jewelry box, too! It was a coral pink with gold trim, and when you opened it the little tutu clad ballerina danced around and around in front of a diamond shaped mirror....oops caught up in memories...anyway, I love this drawing. Give it away? oh what a hard decision.....but you have the teacups to 'play' with again...hmmmm. good luck!
su

Unknown said...

Thanks Siti!!!

That sounds just like MY grandma's jewelry box - except hers was blue. I should try and get my hands on that - being able to wear her clip on earrings was so much fun as a kid!

Sarah said...

Dont send it, it is far too good. Why cant these competitions just look at jpgs and choose from them, definatly dont send it. I love the light showing through the rim, is it little heart shapes.

Unknown said...

Thanks MRS! I'm a big fan of your work!

Well I didn't end up sending it in... which I am half regretting as I would have loved winning the trip to England if I had won top prize, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. :-(

Unknown said...

Oh and yep they are heart cutouts.