Thursday, November 4, 2010

Birdhouse for Colonial Theater

I've finished my contribution to the Colonial Theater fundraiser in Keene. The theme is Birdland so they asked us all to put our artwork on a handcrafted birdhouse to be auctioned off. I showed my birdhouse untouched in an earlier post:
 http://nicolecaulfieldfineart.blogspot.com/2010/09/since-art-in-park-ive-gotten-one.htm


& here is the finished piece. It is all colored pencil. I used orange zest (a thinner) to melt the colored pencil on the top and bottom spindles which gave it a colored stained look. The rest is straight colored pencil.

If you would like to try colored pencil on wood,   the pencil  went on the wood easily but did not allow for layers or any mistakes. When you drew on it it incised the soft wood which was sometimes good and sometimes bad.  I also couldn't find anything that could erase the pencil on it. Get yourself a wood piece that is nice and smooth as well so the texture isn't a fight.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What fun! I never would have thought to use colored pencil on wood, and it is so vibrant. Interesting!

Sue Clinker said...

Beautiful! I hope the birds appreciate their designer home

Unknown said...

THX girls! The colors go on very vibrant, but a bit transparent as well. Also when sprayed with a gloss acrylic spray the colors heighten.

Sarah Knight said...

That looks lovely!

Michael Finley said...

Perhaps sand paper could be used as an eraser.