Monday, January 10, 2011

African Masks

Can you believe after that last post bragging about running  I took my daughter ice skating on Sunday and injured myself. I was skating fast holding hands with my daughter and leaning around her to talk to my friend and my toe pic caught landing me hard on my left knee. Now I have been lying or sitting with my leg propped up and ice on it for all day  or hobbling around. I hope it heals quickly so I don't miss too many days of running, but at the moment I can't bend it without pain.

Anyway I thought I would share some student art! This fall my students and I walked over to Keene State's Thorne Sagendorph Art Gallery to see the African Art exhibit. I took all students K-8th grade. They really enjoyed the exhibit (or so they tell me) and afterwards they made some African inspired paper or paper mache masks. I'll post some pictures below.

The kindergarteners made the paper "body-sized" masks the are above the panels. The rest are made of strip paper mache or paper pulp. These are just a sampling - the display went down the entire hallway.








No comments: