Friday, February 15, 2008

Nothing Can Rescue Me


& here it is finished.


The title is from the spine of one of the books. I like how the broken pieces on the bottom of the box just don't make sense. Did the cup just fall apart and land on the bottom of the box? Did someone try to fix it, hang it back up, to only fall apart again? It really doesn't make sense - just the kind of thing that makes me happy.


Maggie Stiefvater just gave me a link to James Gurney's blog, the illustrator of the children's book Dinotopia. Not only is he amazing his blog is even more amazing. Every realist's trick! Take a look if you haven't before.

7 comments:

visioneerwindows said...

Well done, as all your works are - but can't help but feel that a black trimmed box would have set it off better [perhaps because of oft association of red/black with the oriental....

Belinda Lindhardt said...

just love love love it Nicole i love the story .. this is fabulous

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

This piece is fabulous. Your work is always great, but this is one of my favs!
(Thanks for the step-by-step blog, too. I've learned a lot from you...)

Unknown said...

I've been stalking James Gurney's blog for about half a year now... his work is not only amazing, but his posts tend to be extremely educational. For an aspiring artist like me, it's always great to learn something new!

Lovely piece of artwork!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I think the only explanation is that there was a two year old around!

Michael Finley said...

My new favorite.

With a different title I might go lots of places. With the title and me seeing a missing piece of the broken cup I am draw to the big space framed in the box and the face in shadow in the corner seemingly protected by the books.

Hard one to pick a frame for?

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Nicole, I just have no idea how you do it. NO idea. Unbelievable. My favourite part of this drawing is the books. Perfection.