Saturday, January 24, 2009

OMG!


OMG!


My piece 'Zen" won Best of Show at the Thorne Sagendorph Biennial Regional Juried Show!

It is a regional juried show open to artists living within 30 miles of Keene and is one of those shows that you are just happy to get your piece accepted in. My hope was to get in (my fingers were crossed as well as my stomach in knots waiting to find out if I got in) and have a piece that, this year, people might stop and look at instead of walk past. The last two times I got in, my pieces were small or insignificant next to the amazing art in the show and it hit a nerve when it seemed no one even stopped to take a look at my drawings. So this time, I just hoped my pieces would command a little looksee from the viewers of the show.

BUT to win Best of Show was beyond my expectations!

Seriously, just getting in the show had me excited. The gallery space is such a phenomenal space & they really know how to hang and light work. Just to see my pieces hanging, lit up better than when I was working on them was a thrill I was looking forward to.

If you remember I did the piece Zen with the intention of entering it in this show and one other - the CPSA national show... and if you remember more... I found out that it is too big to be entered in the CPSA show. :-( Oh well........ I would have liked to have had the chance to get it in an all colored pencil show.

Here are some pics from the opening last night.

Another piece of mine got in the show, and here it is with me and my model posing in front of it. People kept on coming up to her during the opening asking her "Haven't I seen you before."


Here's me with my beautiful older daughter who is the model in Zen. :-)



& look! People stopped and looked at it, lol!


If you didn't have a chance to go to the opening -
the show runs January 24 - February 26, 2009.
The gallery hours are:
Saturday – Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
Thursday and Friday noon to 7 p.m.
The Thorne Sagendorph Gallery is on the Keene State College campus on Wyman Way (off of Main St.)

If anyone would like to look back at 'Zen' being made - it is in my October archive (link below) Just scroll down the page:

29 comments:

Chantell Van Erbe said...

Congratulations Nicole! What excellent news. The piece is beautifully hung and the gallery did a magnificent job of lighting it. Love big spaces too! I have a strong feeling that "Zen" will win many more awards in the future. I love the photo of you and your daughter together. The both of you will treasure that moment forever.

S.G. Chipman said...

Thats so awesome Nicole - congratulations!

Beth Macre said...

Congratulations Nicole! You so deserve the honor! I love the way you have developed your art over the years. I just wish that I were close enough to go see this in person! Its too bad about the cpsa size limit. They are missing out.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Nicole!!!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Congratulations, Nicole, such a beautiful piece and of course it should be winning more than a few awards:) Yay!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Beth I'm being such a whiner about the cpsa thing - but I'm just so bummed I can't enter it!

adebanji said...

Congratulations! Well deserved!

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Oh Nicole that's wonderful!!!
Congratulations!!
I'm excited for you. I can't imagine how wonderful that felt.
It truly is an amazing piece and it's an honor well deserved. :)

Teresa Mallen said...

Congratulations Nicole! A very well deserved honour. Hey, and how groovy is it that you got to see folks stopping to look?! That's terrific. Loved the photos of you and your models!!

ale balanzario said...

Congratulations!! your work is awesome. You deserve the honor.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nicole. Such a thrill I am sure. Well deserved.

Carolina said...

Congratulations Nicole! You deserve it, great job!

Cathy Gatland said...

Congratulations!... it's an outstanding work of art.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Congratulations! Its well deserved and a fabulous piece.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Nicole! I'm so happy for you. I know how dedicated you have been in developing yourself as an artist, and as of late, a portrait artist. Your perseverance has paid off in so many ways. You are an inspiration, and very deserving of this honor.

Anonymous said...

Thanks wonderful Nicole. Congratulations! It is well deserved. I'm sure there are many more best of show awards coming your way in the near future. Congratulations again.

Debbi said...

Yay Nicole! That is great news and I'm very happy for you. Congratulations.

Kim Ratigan said...

Congratulations Nicole!!
You created a stunning peice and it certainly merited this award!
Keep it up, this is just the start of the year :-)

Unknown said...

Hip hip HURRAY!!! Jolly brilliant.
It IS a stunning piece...oh to be able to see it live....

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Nicole. Congratulations. I'm not surprised that you won Best in Show because I've thought this to be an exceptional piece all along. Too bad about CPSA!

Unknown said...

*CONGRATULATIONS* Enjoy that feeling of euphoria of such a magnificent honor!!!! I feel honored that I'm writing a comment on your honor. (hugs)

Unknown said...

Congratulations. The work is great. Thaks for sharing the info, and your work...

Kathy said...

Congratulations, Nicole! I am so happy for you. You can feel how excited you are through your post. Does anything special come out of Best of Show ( like the title alone isn't enough!) such as a future solo show? How awesome would that be?! Oh, and trust me, people are looking.

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Congratulations Nicole, well deserved!!! I had noticed my cp pieces are too small to show up against others in shows too :(

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi Nicole,

Congratulations on your achievement.
It sure gives will to keep working hein ?

Kind regards,

José

P.S. lucky you that I don't live within 30 miles :-)

Paula Pertile said...

Way to go Nicole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You totally deserve it.

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting Nicole.. Congratulations. I just read the news in the "Shopper". I plan on going down to the gallery to see in person.

Kendra said...

Congratulations! You deserve this award for a beautiful piece. The first time I saw the piece on your blog I knew it was a winner.

Nothing to See said...

Congratulations! This is fantastic and well deserved accolades.

Kudos!