Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New Props & Getting Ready for the Saturday Market

First some goodies I picked up for still-lifes. I have a pretty girlie big one in my head that these items might be used in.

I haven't decided if I should chip the rest of the paint off of her or use her like this. It is a vase if I want flowers in it too, but I might use it without flowers. 

GETTING READY FOR THE MARKET

I signed up and was juried into the Portland Saturday Market which I plan to go to this weekend on Sunday. Yes it is called the Saturday Market, but it is open Saturday & Sunday. I say I plan on going because the space given is 8x8 instead of the usual 10x10 and I had to order a new tent. Which would be fine but silly me forgot to change my address in paypal and the new tent went to New Hampshire & then back to the seller. I am hoping they can get it to me by the weekend. 

The Portland Saturday Market is really a fun atmosphere and they encourage sellers to be creative with their displays so I have been collecting booth ideas on Pinterest. http://pinterest.com/mealpod/art-fair/ My camper would be so perfect but even if I still had it, it is way too big for the requirements. Remember: 8 feet x 8 feet! 

Here's my setup so far, which is basic. My friend gave me this library cart that I am going to use for my prints. It is really pretty big which is great. It has to be positioned though on the side so people can walk around it. It is two-sided so it will hold this amount of prints on both sides. I need to figure out what to put on the white side that will be facing the line of traffic to get people in the booth (see the next picture). Whatever I decide could be put on with magnets since it is metal. I am open for suggestions! 


Here's the rest of the booth in my garage - minus the tent. My panels are 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall. I made covers for them out of charcoal felt that will fit snugly once I attach all the velcro. I decided to have two panels on each side and then 2 half panels in the back so it feels more open and less claustrophobic. Since the tent is 8 feet wide I can angle the front two panels open more so people will be able to see the artwork when walking by. I plan on putting the framed prints on the front panels and originals more inside the booth. 


Over the half panels I have a bar that connects to the taller panels that I was thinking about putting some fabric panels on. I was playing with some fabric I had on hand but will obviously need more of it. I thought it would lighten things up. Or I could hang some prints or something on the bar instead. Again, I am open for suggestions. I have some good pins that might work on that pinboard I mentioned http://pinterest.com/mealpod/art-fair/. The whole thing also won't look so oppressive when filled with my white frames and colorful artwork. Plus I am allowed lighting so I was going to go to IKEA and pick up some hanging light fixtures with pretty shades or maybe clip on lights for the panels. 


Another thing I already picked up at IKEA are these sweet little plastic frames with a tulip base for $1! I got a bunch of them to put signs in. They are double sided too. You can see one sitting on my print rack. I'll need to stick them on somehow - Maybe velcro. 

TOLSBY Frame for 2 pictures IKEA You can display one picture on each side as the frame has no back panel.

Please give me any suggestions on how to pimp this booth out! I want it to be playful but not in bad taste, lol. I do have a great 12x36"black frame I could use in some way too. 

No comments: