Thursday, June 28, 2007

All Washed Up - WIP

For a change of pace I'm doing a beach inspired still-life with soft greens and muted sunlight. I haven't gotten very far yet. This will be another 6" x 18" so the photo is just a small piece of the entire thing. Its a terrible photo too - I just couldn't get it not to blur.

Some objects lend themselves so well to the sanded surface and the grainy look you get with it, but what fascinates me is how you can give an impression of a smooth or shiny surface even though the actual surface of the drawing is dry and rough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, you are a master of texture on a rough surface. The shine of the red shoes, the crinkles of the paper bag, the skin of an orange! Do you know anyone else who uses the Ampersand with colored pencils? I wish we had more time with you on the cruise to wear you out with questions.

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

I like the sneak peek... can't wait to see what other interesting objects you have there. That sea-glass texture looks great! I just started working on my first colored pencil on Ampersand, and I love it! I've also added some Derwent Coloursofts to my pencil selection. Thank you for the recommendations! (Love the wine-o piece also, by the way!)

Unknown said...

Thanks Deborah!! Yep I've heard of quite a few people trying Ampersand now. Ranjini likes it (her link is in my sidebar here) and Shawn Falchetti (I hope I got that name right! http://www.shawnfalchetti.com/) and I've heard of others trying it too.


Thanks Liz!! Doesn't the pencil just pop on the Pastelbord?!