Thursday, December 6, 2007

Red Wine Still-life


This is a commission that I just finished up. I haven't brought it to the client yet, but I am happy with how it turned out. She wanted a 6" x 18" vertical format with a bottle of wine and 2 glasses.

I always find compositions with wine and glasses very difficult because all the objects are similar in shape - they are all tall and thin. So what I did was come at it at a funny angle so the focus on the front glass is on the globe part of the glass instead of the entire glass. I also didn't straighten things up and actually welcomed the distorted tilt of the objects. That helps give the piece more movement than if everything was standing straight up and down.

I have another composition with these elements I really want to do right now, but it will have to be put on hold for a little bit. My oldest daughter turns 9 this weekend and is having her very first sleepover party. I am spending the rest of the week tidying and cleaning so the girls have a blank slate to mess up at the party!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love how the blue of the cloth carries up to the blue on the bottle top. Your client should be very pleased.

Unknown said...

Thanks Cindy!!!!